Landing oneself in debt is often unexpected and bewildering. If this happens to you, what should you do next? The first place to start is seeking debt advice to help you mitigate your financial circumstances.
When experiencing financial difficulties or hardship you can contact any of the organisations listed below. They offer further debt advice and help, with how to manage your financial situation.
- Money Advice Service: For free, unbiased and easy-to-access money tools, information and advice, visit www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk or phone 0300 500 5000 to speak to a Money Advisor.
- Advice UK: Member centres offer debt advice including specialist advice for minority communities and people with disabilities – www.adviceuk.org.uk or phone 0300 777 0107.
- Christians against Poverty (CAP): For free debt advice in your home, check post code coverage at www.capuk.org then call 0800 328 0006.
- Citizens Advice: For advice and information on debt and other topics, visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (address in the phone book) or go to www.adviceguide.org.uk.
- National Debtline: If you live in England, Wales or Scotland phone 0808 808 4000 or visit www.nationaldebtline.org for debt advice and information.
- StepChange Debt Charity: For debt advice throughout the UK Phone 0800 138 1111 or visit www.stepchange.org.
Other Useful Debt Advice Organisations are:
- Civil Legal Advice: You may get legal aid if your home is at risk. Check at www.gov.uk/legal-aid or phone 0845 345 4345.
- Financial Ombudsman Service: If you have a complaint that you can’t resolve with your lender, the Financial Ombudsman Service may be able to help – phone 0300 123 9123 or 0800 023 4567 or visit www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
When going through a hard time such as a financial bind, you don’t have to feel alone. Many of us fall into debt at one time or another in our lives. Reach out to one of the listed organisations for the kind and professional services that they offer.
Once you’re back on you’re feet, you’ll consequently start building back up and be glad you got help!
Hopefully you’ll see yourself prosper to even greater heights and positive achievements, consequently living a happier life.